Remembering Sheena

Stop Animal Abuse in Malaysia.

Tuesday, June 20, 2006

Rest In Peace, Sweet Naomi

Raihana Souket Ali wrote to RSC with this sad story below. We don't want Naomi's death to be in vain and so we have posted Raihana's story here in memory of her beloved cat, Naomi.


Naomi was born on March 3, 1997. She was a lovely tabby cat and had been with me since the day she was born in my front yard. This year she turned nine and despite her age she was very active and healthy.


















My family took a short trip this March 23, and since Naomi had been slightly unwell, we decided to board her at a government clinic - Jabatan Haiwan Bukit Mertajam (JHBM) in Pulau Pinang.

Based on their promises to look after her, we left Naomi in their care, but four days later when my family returned to collect her on March 27, they were informed that she had died.

They dont know when she died, but she was lying in a very small cage, infested with flies and ants. Upon investigation they found out that she had been locked in a cage and had not been fed water or food the entire four days she was there.

JHBM officials refused to take responsibility and shifted blame upon each other, claiming each had thought the other would feed Naomi. But no one did.

My poor cat was sick, with no water and food for four days. She died a very sad and painful death.

It is now three months since her death and I still cannot swallow the way she died, rather than her death itself. It is very painful to think that after all the years I had taken care of her like my own child, she had to die at the hands of uncaring and irresponsible people.

I complained to the officials and their heads. I wrote letters. I sent a letter to Mr Mohd Radzuan bin Malek, Dept of Vetrinary Services,Headquarters, Wisma Tani. Level 2, Podium Block 1A, Lot 4GI, Precient 4, Federal Government Administrative Centre, 62630 Putrajaya and I never got a reply. Not even a sorry!

I feel terribly guilty and responsible for leaving Naomi there, but I want her death to be an eye opener for others.

Don’t take your pets to government clinics that operate solely for the money and not because they love animals. My experience has taught me that no pain is greater, save that of regret.

With pain and regret,
Raihana Souket Ali
Bukit Mertajam

9 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home