Remembering Sheena

Stop Animal Abuse in Malaysia.

Saturday, September 20, 2008

In Loving Memory Of My Baby, Giddy Boy


To the world, he was the famous Dr. Gideon Sunday who appeared many times in all the newspapers, but to me he will always be my Giddy Boy.



My first dog, my baby who touched every life he came in contact with, passed away peacefully on September 16, 2008 at 8:30 pm.

Dr. Gideon Sunday and Dr. Babe were Malaysia's first two Dr. Dogs. They were personally selected by Jill Robinson, founder of Animals Asia Foundation. Jill has received many international awards for her work and appeared on CNN, Discovery Channel, etc. But her greatest reward and award we all know is to see the end of suffering of all animals.

Gideon Sunday was a rescued dog. When he came to us, we noticed he had difficulty getting up and walking. His legs often gave way under him and he would collapse on the floor.



This is why Gideon often lay down spread-eagled on the floor. Vets told us he was a cross between a Chow Chow and mongrel. He looked like a bear and so unusual that people would stop and stare.

We took him to the vet who said Gideon had arthrities and cataract. We gave him the necessary medication for both to help him deal with it. One vet I know who deals with traditional Ayurvedic medicine (only herbs) gave eyedrops for Gideon which remarkably improved his sight. He could even jump across small drains and go around pot holes by himself which meant he could see them.


He walked much better on rough surface like roads and grass where he could walk for up to an hour without resting. Later he was even able to sit rather than lie spread-eagled but not for long.

Gideon became well enough to visit old folks homes and children's homes under the Dr. Dog Programme. The sight of him and Babe approaching with their red bandanas would have children running out of their house to come and greet us. Gideon wore his Dr Dog bandana with great pride.

After all, Jill Robinson herself put it on him. He was a great Dr. Dog - so gentle and loving with old folks and kids.

He was supposed to officially receive his retirement certificate at the World Animal Day celebrations at Bangsar Village on October 4, 2008.

I'm still keeping Dr. Gideon's red, Dr. Dog bandana and his name tag and photo. It reminds me of the joy and hope he brought so many people. He is now in heaven together with Cheeky, Salehin’s dog. Gideon’s Uncle Salehin was kind enough to post a loving memorial to Gideon on Cheeky’s blog www.rememberingcheeky.blogspot.com.

Do check out Cheeky’s memorial too. He was truly a special dog, like my Giddy Boy. I know he will be a great friend to my Giddy Boy in heaven.

I'm proud to have known Gideon Sunday. I'm glad God chose me to look after him in his last days. Rest in peace, Giddy Boy. One day we will meet again.

6 Comments:

  • At 5:14 PM, Blogger Just Shelley... said…

    Awwwww....this made me cry :(

     
  • At 9:34 PM, Blogger Shoba said…

    Thank you for your note Shelley. Yes, Gideon Sunday was pretty special. Jill Robinson called him "a darling".

     
  • At 12:00 AM, Blogger Norman Choo said…

    God bless Gideon Sunday :)

     
  • At 6:21 PM, Blogger Shoba said…

    Thank you, Norman.

     
  • At 6:33 PM, Blogger Mariposa said…

    I'm so sorry for your loss.I'm just awed that Gideon touched so many lives. I've lost 2 of my dear doggies and I still miss them terribly. Hugs!

    God bless you!

    p/s: My Brownie has cataract at his left eye. What ointment did the ayurvedic doc recommend?

     
  • At 4:08 PM, Blogger Shoba said…

    Drop me an email, Mariposa at remembersheena@gmail.com and I'll give you the vet's telephone number. You can call and ask him directly about the ayurvedic oil.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home